Hello Colla-genie family,
Here are 10 Quick Collagen Facts.
- Type I collagen is stronger than steel.
- Collagen is the main structural protein in connective tissues such as those found in bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, and skin. Connective tissues provide the support and framework for the body.
- Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body, it makes u about one-third of all the protein in the body.
- The word “collagen” is significant, As it is a derivative of the Greek word kola, which means glue. Many refer to collagen as the glue that holds the body together.
- Tendons, ligaments, and fascia are composed almost entirely of collagen. Collagen is also found in the digestive tract, teeth, blood vessels and in the cornea of the eye.
- Collagen is what gives strength to your bones and cartilage.
- Our bodies naturally produce collagen, but as we age our body’s natural ability to produce collagen diminishes.
- Ultraviolet light, smoking and a high sugar diet can all interfere with the production of collagen.
- It is unlikely that skin can absorb collagen from lotions because the molecules of collagen are too large to be absorbed through the deeper dermal layers of skin.
- 80-90% of the collagen in the body consists of Type I, II, III & IV Collagen(there are 28 types of collagen). Colla-Genie makes use of Type I, II, III & IV Collagen.
Donna Leigh Kedar